Internet Hindus and Renaissance in India-I
When you were in school, you were taught:
- Mahatma Gandhi is the father of Nation. Now an RTI says, Mahatma Gandhi was never conferred Father of Nation title. Unlearn it and relearn from scratch.
- Hindi is our national language. A citation from a judgement by Justice S. J Mukhopadhyaya says, Hindi is not our national language. India doesnt have a national language. Unlearn it and relearn from scratch.
- Jammu and Kashmir is an integral part of India. It is just like a Karnataka or a Madhya Pradesh and India has one Constitution and it is the supreme law of India that governs all the states and Union Territories without any discrimination. When you grew up, you discovered that Jammu and Kashmir has a separate Constitution and laws which are applicable to any other part of India are not applicable to Jammu and Kashmir. Unlearn it and relearn from scratch.
- Hosni Mubarak was awarded Nehru Award for International Understanding by India for his contribution in promoting peace and communal harmony. When you grew up, you discovered that he was a dictator and there was no such word like peace in his dictionary. Unlearn it and relearn from scratch.
- India is a sovereign, socialist, secular, democratic republic and we must take pride to belong to a nation which has such high ideals.When you grew up, you learnt that democracy is nothing but the personal discretion of a Prime Minister and all your rights can be ceased if you raise your voice against the government. Unlearn it and relearn from scratch.
- India is a country that believes in the principle of Unity in diversity and when you grew up, you learnt that a South Indian feels uncomfortable with a North Indian and the vice-versa. Unlearn it and relearn from scratch.
- Constitution of India prohibits discrimination against members of a particular religion, race, caste, sex or place of birth. It implies that every person has the right to preach, practice and follow any religion they choose. When you grew up, you discovered that all these meant nothing but discrimination in the name of religion, race, caste, sex or place of birth as is evident from the reservation system and thousands of riots that have taken place since Independence. Unlearn it and relearn from scratch.
- You were shown a TV serial: The Sword of Tipu Sultan. In this serial, you learnt that Tipu Sultan was a secular king who fought against British Raj. Later, when you grew up, you learnt that he has responsible for killing lacs of Hindus and his fight against British Raj was not for freedom of India but to establish Islamic Rule all over India and make India a Muslim country and that the serial had nothing to do with history but was a work of fiction. Unlearn it and relearn from scratch.
- Media is the fourth pillar of democracy and it is not accountable to the government. Hence media is unbiased. When you grew up, you discovered that media that brings news to you is paid media and the news that reach to you and help mould your opinion on anything and everything from the price of rice to Higgs Particle are filtered and refined as per the agenda of the people whose language they speak. Unlearn it and re-learn from scratch.
- Taxes are for your own benefit and for the development of nation. When you do a google search on scams in India, you find that in 2012 alone, by now, more than 40 scams have taken place and that you pay taxes to nurture these scamsters. Unlearn it and relearn from scratch.
Of late, it seems, life is more about unlearning things and then relearning it from scratch. While I argue that there is need to unlearn things and relearn it, I am aware that there are two sets of people who do not concur my view: 1. Those who make their livelihood out of these distortions and perversions 2. Those who love growing crops in Facebook�s Farmville and believe that they are helping eradicate poverty or those who spend their abundant leisure hunting for a partner on dating sites or watching Sachins 100th 100 for the 100th time or those who prefer to remain indifferent to everything but quibble when they are fired from the company due to recession but fail to reason that the economy went down due to poor governance and that their indifference caused a major role in electing a corrupt and incapable government. Of these two, first set of people are informed but ignorant. They either derive some benefit out of these distortions or aspire to derive in future. They can even go to the extent of justifying government by putting the blame on you. They are, due to their ignorance, limited intelligence and expertise in justifying the wrong, known as Pseudo-intellectuals. These pseudo-intellectuals are threats to society for they can influence you and convince you to live in ignorance. The second set of people are uninformed and they are not aware of truth. They prefer to building castles in air and living in ivory towers. They do not do any damage to society. They do not do any good either. Besides, there is a third set of people who do not need to unlearn things. It is they who never had an opportunity to learn anything. Since they didn’t learn, they need not unlearn. Often it has been seen that these people who never had an opportunity to learn end up teaching many. Yes, sometimes, they are much better a teacher than a lecturer in Haward.
When we combine these three sets of people who differ with me on unlearning things and learning it again from scratch along with those who agree, what we get is society. The question whether a society is advanced or not depends on percentage distribution of these sets of people in society. In an advanced country, you will find, the tribe of informed people outsmarts the tribe of uninformed and ill-informed. In such countries, need to unlearn is less and emphasis is more on learning. On the contrary, in a country like India, deeply ingrained in ignorance, need to unlearn has become the highest priority followed by need to learn. It is here that all calculations fail. It is here that all reforms and policies become ineffective for learning is easy but unlearning learnt things and relearning it from scratch is more difficult a task. However, things become easy once you have the conviction that you are betrayed. But problem is that you never question. You do not question why son of an IAS/IPS needs a quota in any exam and even if he/she scores a zero, how can he/she get an admission on top of your son. You do not question how the school you sent your child to study converted the name and religion of your child. You do not question why you never heard of a sex scandal in a church like you hear about likes of Nithyananda Swamy. You do not question how Sanskrit became an obsolete language when Kapil Sibal removes it from Kendriya Vidyalayas. You do not question why you never see any impact of the claim made by our Prime Minister regarding MGNREGA. You do not question why a 15-year old girl from a Muslim family be allowed to marry or for that matter why a Muslim lady should be debarred from entering the library in a central university.
Aren’t these questions that you should have asked in a Plural Society like India? Did Constitution of India not give you the right to equality? Did this Government not divide you to suit its agenda? Did you care to ask these questions? No. Why then do you quibble when there is inflation? Is the price rise not due to the poor governance and is it not you who elected this government? No, you won’t question. Questioning is long forgotten an art. Asking questions these days is considered an act of Indiscipline. Can even God save you? Come election and these leaders come to you and lure you with their mellifluous voice. They do not promise you education, but they promise you job. What an offer! You vote for them, they dump you. This is not a matter of yesterday. It has been happening since day-1 of independence. It is not that Raja is the first man involved in a scam. History text books will never teach you that your own Chacha Nehru was involved, directly or indirectly, in several scams and Bharat Ratnas like Rajiv Gandhi was responsible for killing thousands of Sikhs and allowed several riots to happen in several different parts of country. These books are meant only to deify the Nehru-Gandhi family. Media brings you news from different parts but gives you views borrowed from these politicians. So, you were neither taught in school nor did you come to know about these when you grew up and started watching Prime Time News Channels.
As Swami Vivekananda once said, If you put a frog in water and slowly heat it, enjoying the gradual warmth, the frog will not make any effort to escape, and eventually it will helplessly die. So is the condition of this society now. It is about to die; die out of euthanasia. As I discussed above, 3 of 4 categories who constitute our society is dying out of Euthanasia, either aware or unaware, and there is one category that is yearning for a change. Though, people of this category are yearning in offline world too but online community, by the use of technology, have been more effective in their efforts to bring in a change. They are quick to unlearn things and easily learn new definitions. Not only that, they have compelled likes of BBC to change its headlines and contents. They have exposed bigotry of Nehru Dynasty channels. Within a very short time, they have been able to pass on the message to the Govt and its goons in media that India is awakening and days of bigotry and double standards are no more going to survive. They have now become a pain not only for Government but also for media. So, what do you do when you [Media and Gov] are caught lying? Obviously, liars and perverts cannot withstand truth. They become helpless when they are stripped openly in public platforms like twitter. They put in their best to defame these people who have now learnt truth. They call them as vile abusers, RSS Agents, BJP Goons, trolls and profoundest of all being: Internet Hindus. This term was coined by Sagarika for a certain group of people on twitter who have unlearnt the older definitions of Secularism and learnt it that Secularism means nothing but minority appeasement to further the divisive agenda and misuse it in elections. Recently this term has made a lot of news and there had been several debates on this term. Al-Jajeera organized a debate on this issue. In this debate, Sagarika Ghose, Deputy Chief of a family run English News Channel running in India, out of her profound wisdom, seems to have argued that Internet Hindus are threat to Communal Harmony. So, how do you maintain communal harmony? She says, Hindus are already in majority. Hence Hindus should be tolerant. There is so much of hatred spreading everywhere and muslims are not treated properly. Interesting thing to note here is its interpretation. This is not a plain statement. It means:
- Hindus are in majority. Hence, if a Hindu suffers and perishes, let him perish.
- Hindus are in majority and Muslims in minorities. How to bring in equality? Butcher Hindus till nation has 50% Hindus and 50% Muslims. How do you do that? Well, lacs of Kashmiri Pundits killed in Kashmir is one such example. How do you know that media thinks killing Hindus is the only way to bring in equality? Well, because not one single news channel covered Kashmiri Pundits. Why should they cover? Are Hindus not already in majority? Let them die.
- She is herself a Hindu, at least by name. She doesn’t subscribe to the Hindutva ideology which talks about treating all religions equally but supports the government cooked vote-bank term called Secularism.
I think enough has been said about this filthy politics being run in India by Government in collusion with media and with tacit consent of people from 3 of 4 categories, as I discussed above, that constitute society. Need of the hour, therefore, is to work this out. As I told you, a nation is said to be advanced when there is the minimal need to unlearn things and re-learn it again. Internet Hindus, a derogatory term coined by Sagarika and now happily embraced by twitter-patriots, are doing good job in this regard. However, this is just one step forward. What has been done is nothing compared to what is left to be done. The task ahead is herculean. I found a twitter handle called @POPCORN (Name Changed) doing huge research on why social media cannot affect general elections for next 10 years. Though, he ended up impressing many with the collection of his tweets in his Storified but then true nationalists who aspire to change things should not look after negative researches. There is nothing to research on it. Instead, researches like: How the tribe of Internet Hindus, an informed and responsible group of Nationalists, can increase both online as well as offline, How social media messages can be extended to offline world etc make more sense and are more productive.
Yes, if Internet Hindus have taken a lead in this fight against corruption, bigotry, double standards, casteist theories, religious hatred, divisive agendas, intellectual perfidy etc, onus lies upon them now on how to carry it further. Remember, this struggle is no different than freedom struggle. In fact, it is more difficult a task now since we have become hollow from within by learning lessons that deify ideologies of one Nehru-Gandhi family and prepare us to vote for them as soon as we touch 18. However, there is always a hope. I can see a Renaissance in India. I know, it is too early to say that there is some kind of Renaissance but then if there is one, it is a matter of great importance and must be taken seriously. If it is not so, why not put efforts to bring in one? Can there be a service better than this? Remember, our ancestors united whole of India during those days when there was neither a mobile nor a twitter. Can we not unite and enlighten more and more people to come forward for a greater cause? India doesn’t live on twitter. It lives in villages and defecates in open sky. However, it watches TV. India story has always been like this. When a child needs education and is sent to school, it gets a new religion:– Christanity. When a poor guy needs food to eat and water to drink, he gets TV. So, majority of Indians now eat and drink this TV. This TV shows them that Indira Gandhi, the lady who ceased fundamental rights from Indians, was the Greatest Indian after Gandhi. This TV celebrates the birthday of Sunny Leone, the Pornstar. Same TV , however, doesn’t talk of a Subhash Chandra Bose. It doesnt celebrate the birthday of Shivaji or Maharana Pratap. Who, if not we, will educate them? Have we done some home- work in this regard? How to increase our tribe? Can we do some case study in this regard just like @POPCORN did? Can we spend 2 hours per week helping people know the truth? Are we ready to take it up to next stage? Can we come up with one monthly magazine in print that speaks truth and only truth and helps revive our own tradition and values? These are the questions that need to be addressed today and purpose of this article was to explore ways in which the tribe of patriotic tweeples aka Internet Hindus can be increased both online and offline. Let us discuss ways how to make people more and more informed. Let us discuss how we can imbibe in people the feelings idea of Freedom:– Freedom from mental slavery, Freedom from being influenced by anyone be it Media or be it a famous historian. India, as of now, is not free. Of-course, the land is free but then India is not merely a piece of land. It is but sum total of 1 Billion+ minds and a kaleidoscope of diverse cultures of Hinduism, Islam, Christanity, Buddhism, Jainism. We need to get past these filthy things and take a lead in our freedom struggle.